I first discovered acaí berry bowls in San Diego when my husband had a conference there. Another wife and I immediately became obsessed and I asked the girls how to recreate this at home. I had no idea an acaí berry was also a superfood! Since then, I have tried different ingredients, but this one is my favorite.
What you need:
1 Sambazon acaí berry packet (I got mine at our local health food store)
1/2 frozen banana
2 heaping tablespoons of sunflower butter OR peanut butter
1/2 tsp-1 tsp raw honey
1 heaping teaspoon of ground flax seeds
1/4 cup almond milk (I used homemade)
Additions: Whatever you like. I’ve used chia seeds, berries, nuts, honey, nut butter. This time I used Purely Elzabeth’s Original Granola (made with organic quinoa, millet + chia) and a little of Perfect Bar’s (soy free, gluten free, non-GMO, organic) Dark Chocolate Almond bar. This was a perfect combo!
What you need to do:
- Run Sambazon berry packet under water and place in Vitamix or blender.
- Add all other ingredients and start on low if you have a Vitamix.
- Blend for a few seconds (it will depend how powerful your blender is). You want it to be thick, so don’t blend for long.
- Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings.
- Enjoy every bite!
Benefits of acaí berries:
- Antioxidants (anthocyanins, polyphenols, vitamins A, C and E)
- Healthy fats including monounsaturated fats and omega fatty acids (including omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9 and fatty acids like linoleic acid, palmitic acid and oleic acid)
- Dietary fiber
- Certain essential amino acids
- Electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and manganese)
- Plant sterols (B-sitosterol, campesterol and sigmasterol)
- Other trace minerals (iron, calcium, copper and zinc)
- B vitamins (B1, B2 and B3)
(Source: Dr. Axe)